5 Whys - Root Cause analysis tools
Articulate the Problem
Construct a Causal Chain
Identify the Root Cause
Royal Horseshoe Inspection Checklist
• Specific and clear • Agreed upon • Understood by everyone
• Keep asking: "Why did this effect occur?" • Causes must be necessary and sufficient for effects • Generally, 5 times is enough
• Without this cause, there would be no problem • This cause alone caused the problem • A fixable process, not a person
• Addresse the root cause, not symptoms • Prevent the problem from ever occurring again • No more complicated or expensive than necessary
Explore Our Articles and Examples
Try Our Other Websites!
Photos for Class
– Search for School-Safe, Creative Commons Photos (It Even Cites for You!
– Easily Make and Share Great-Looking Rubrics