"Ghost of the Lagoon" Vocabulary Lesson Plan
Lesson Plan Reference
Grade Level 6-8
Difficulty Level 2 (Reinforcing / Developing)
Type of Assignment Individual or Partner
Type of Activity: Visual Vocabulary BoardsCommon Core Standards
- [ELA-Literacy/L/6/4] Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 6 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies
Learning new vocabulary is an important part of reading any story. Often, new words in an unfamiliar context need to be mastered before a student can understand what’s happening in a story. This is especially important when the story is set in a different time or different country and many words or context is quite unlike what students know.
In this activity, students demonstrate their understanding of vocabulary words using a spider map. After choosing a word, students provide a definition and an image or scene that illustrates the word. Students may be provided the vocabulary words, or they can use words that they have discovered through their own reading of the text.
Example "Ghost of the Lagoon" Vocabulary Words
(These instructions are completely customizable. After clicking "Copy Assignment", change the description of the assignment in your Dashboard.)
Demonstrate your understanding of the vocabulary words in "Ghost of the Lagoon" by creating visualizations.
- Choose three vocabulary words from the story and type them in the title boxes.
- Find the definition in a print or online dictionary.
- Write a sentence that uses the vocabulary word.
- Illustrate the meaning of the word in the cell using a combination of scenes, characters, and items.
- Alternatively, use Photos for Class to show the meaning of the words with the search bar.
(Use this rubric or create your own on Quick Rubric.)