Where Do Polar Bears Live? Vocabulary
Lesson Plan Reference
Grade Level 2-3
Difficulty Level 2 (Reinforcing / Developing)
Type of Assignment Individual or Partner
Type of Activity: Visual Vocabulary BoardsCommon Core Standards
- [ELA-Literacy/RI/2/4] Determine the meaning of words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 2 topic or subject area.
- [ELA-Literacy/RI/3/4] Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 3 topic or subject area.
A great way to engage your students is by creating a storyboard that uses vocabulary from Where Do Polar Bears Live? In this activity, students demonstrate their understanding of vocabulary words using sentences and corresponding images. Students may be provided the vocabulary words, or they can use words that they have discovered through their reading of the text. The sentences and images validate both their understanding of the word and how it was used in context of the story.
Here are a few vocabulary words commonly taught with the story and an example of a visual vocabulary board.
(These instructions are completely customizable. After clicking "Copy Assignment", change the description of the assignment in your Dashboard.)
Demonstrate your understanding of the vocabulary words in Where Do Polar Bears Live? by creating visualizations.
- Choose three vocabulary words from the text and type them in the title boxes.
- Find the definition in a print or online dictionary.
- Write a sentence that uses the vocabulary word.
- Illustrate the meaning of the word in the cell using a combination of scenes, characters, and items.
- Alternatively, use Photos for Class to show the meaning of the words with the search bar.
(Modify this basic rubric by clicking the link below. You can also create your own on Quick Rubric.)