1. "I moved it slowly—very, very slowly, so that I might not disturb the old man's sleep. It took me an hour to place my whole head within the opening so far that I could see him as he lay upon his bed."
2. "Who's there?"
4. "Yes, he was stone, stone dead... His eye would trouble me no more."
3. "He shrieked once—once only."
5. ''I then took up three planks from the flooring of the chamber, and deposited all between the scant lings."
6. "A shriek had been heard by a neighbor during the night; suspicion of foul play had been aroused; information had been lodged at the police office..."
7. "The shriek, I said, was my own in a dream. The old man, I mentioned, was absent in the country."
8. "I brought chairs into the room... placed my own seat upon the very spot beneath which reposed the corpse of the victim. "
9. Bu-bu bu-bu
10. I could hear his heart beat, “...dissemble no more! I admit the deed!— tear up the planks!—here, here!—it is the beating of his hideous heart!”