1. A corrupt government is when you have one authority figure or group that has all the power and uses it to push their own agenda and take out anyone who opposes them or questions them. 2. Here in Chapter 6, Page 98, Bernard has come in to the Director's office to get his permit for the Savage Reservation in New Mexico. He is then confronted by the Director about his "odd" behavior and is threatened with being sent to Iceland if he doesn't change his ways
1. An unexpected hero is that character who didn't seem very likely throughout the story to be the hero but somehow they end being the most righteous one 2. In Chapter 12, Page 172, Bernard is trying to get John the Savage to come out of his dressing room to present himself before all the people that Bernard had invited, hoping to impress all of them.
I AM NOT COMING OUT BERNARD!!
3. Here we see someone who is in power who is using that power to threaten someone who is questioning their authority as well as his whole group of authority
Perfect Exterior/Bad Interior
3. This scene pertains to being an unexpected hero because John has become the only person who is acting sane and thinking correctly. Bernard has shown his true colors, being someone who only cares about his own ego.He's not that same person who seemed to be the only one who was somewhat normal in the beginning of the book
No choice/free will
1. Sameness/ Uniformity is when the society being portrayed in the book is made up of like-minded people. 2. In the scene found in Chapter 1 page 7, we find out that there are 96 identical twins working 96 identical machines 3. Not only are people in the book thinking the exact same way, they are literally the same in the way they look
1. Perfect Exteriors are kind of a nice veil that hides the ugly truth behind it 2. In chapter 6 page 96, we see that whenever someone is having emotional problems they are advised to take soma, an anti-depressant. Here Bernard takes soma because he can't handle being one of the very few who doesn't like the way things are. 3. It pertians because we can infer that people most likely take soma for the smallest oof problems and don't deal with their problems.
1. No free will is when people are forced to follow rules that are so arbitrary and are not even remotely ethical. 2. In Chapter 26, page 227, we figure out that poeple have been sent to islands for their way of thinking 3. It pertains because people are being sent to remote islands for not following the "social norms" set by the whole government.
1. Segregation is when the whole society is broken into castes or classes based off their looks or how they were brought up. 2. In Chapter 2 Page 21, the Director is showing the kids how children are being tortured just because they have been chosen to be Epsilons 3. It pertains to segregation because there are people being treated like animals because of their social classes