Mrs. Urbaez and Mrs. Makcey
American Experience Through Literature
30 March 2016
Stubborn; scared to love anyone other than her brother; will not let people in who truly care about her; hard on herself.
"But Jessica Dunn was beautiful." (29)
Another sixteen stitches, but it was the bite on his face that was the big concern. (21)
1) Jessica lives in a trailer park with her two alcoholic parents and disabled brother. Their dog attacks two children and one gets severely hurt. The boy's father forces the dog to be put down. Little does she know the boy will be important in her life.
2) She meets the boy, Connor O' Rourke in a cooking class she attends. They sleep together and wind up living in the same town.
"'Trust me,' he'd whispered against her mouth.." (65)
"'Get up, doofus'....He was, after all, on a bent knee, holding up a diamond ring." (1)
3) Their relationship is always on and off but he takes the risk of asking her to marry him. Her answer is no which takes him by surprise.
4) Jessica realizes that she loves him and asks him to marry her and they move in together and live a happy life with twins on the way.
"'Hope you meant it about kids. Seems like we're having twins.'" (408)
"It wasn't a one-word mistake, she wanted to say. It was my reputation, it was "Jessica Does Anyone," it was "That white-trash Jessica," it was my entire past when I'd already told you that this was my chance, my one chance, to be someone other than Jessica Does." (68)
"And Jess...she was perfect...She was still learning to rely on him and not see it as weakness, but instead what it was. Love...he'd just simply look at her sleeping face, still a little stunned that she was his." (107)
Explore Our Articles and Examples
Try Our Other Websites!
Photos for Class
– Search for School-Safe, Creative Commons Photos (It Even Cites for You!
– Easily Make and Share Great-Looking Rubrics
– Create Custom Nursery Art