- throughout Western US and Mexico - one of many groups w/in uto-Aztecan language family - 61 languages, 1.9 million speakers
- five periods of destruction and rebirth, known as 'suns' - each 'sun' attributed to one god
- dual god(dess) Ometecuhtli/Omecihuatl created itself - Huizilopochtli, Quetzalcoatl, Tezcatlipoca, Xipe Totec - Huizilopochtli and Queztalciatl created god of rain Tlalec and lords of underworld, heavens, waters, fire, etc.
- Tezcatilopa (T) as half sun, energy source - Qeutzaleoatl (Q) fought T, Q won - T sent jaguars to destroy humanity
- Q's control - humans were created, but corrupt - sent monkeys to destroy humanity, then hurricanes to destroy monkeys - modern day monkeys are survivors of these hurricanes
- Tlaloc ruled - T stole Tlaloc's wife - Tlaloc turned humanity into turkeys, dogs, butterflies - Q reduced Earth to fire & ash