Mercury poisoning is a type of metal poisoning due to exposure to mercury. Symptoms depend upon the type, dose, method, and duration of exposure.
Today we are going to look at the dangers and effects of Mercury Ingestion and also how to avoid this.
Mercury is emitted into the atmosphere by 3 ways: naturally from volcanoes, the weathering of rocks, forest fires, and soils. Mercury is also emitted from human activities such as the burning of fossil fuels etc. Also Mercury can be re-introduced through processes such as evaporation.
Ingestion of mercury leads to increased excitability, irritability, excessive shyness, tremors or shakiness, paresthesia (a sensation of pricking on the skin), blurred vision, malaise, speech difficulties, constriction of the visual field, memory loss, kidney disease, headaches, and trouble sleeping. It can also cause skin rashes, sores in the mouth, or sore and swollen gums.
When deposited into bodies of water, mercury is easily converted into methyl mercury and ingested in the tissues of animals and fish. It travels up food chain by bioaccumulation. Then it is passed up to humans from the consumption of fish.
A few ways we can prevent exposure is promotion of clean energy, stopping the use of mercury in mining and industry, and not dumping mercury into surrounding water sources after use.
The last thing we have to tell you is avoid fish often if you are pregnant because mercury could cause defects. Overall, cleaner energy sources would help this problem a lot!