1. researchers target a disease and create numerous drugs
2. drugs are tested in the lab to see if they are toxic and if they do their job. they use computer models and human cells grown in the laboratory.
3. the possible new drugs are then tested on animals to find out how they work in a whole living organism
4. drugs that pass animal testing move on to clinical trials [using healthy volunteers and patients]low doses are given to healthy people to check for side effects. if safe it is then tested on patients to see if it treats the disease
5. if it is safe and effective, bigger clinical trials take place to find the optimum dose for the drug
6. if the medicine passes all legal tests, it is licenced to your doctor can prescribe it. its safety is monitored for as long as its used