8. Oh I guess so. You better stay right in front of the house, though... and keep a good lookout for the postman.
6. To tend to her business.
4. She had to go on a little errand.
2. Did you get all them chores done already? I ain't seen you doing much.
7. Can I go outside then?
1. Grandma, that stuff Bennie is using smells awful. Can I go downstairs, please?
3. Yes'm- finished early. Where did mama go this morning?
1. Yes'm. Leave them poor little old cockroaches alone, they ain't bothering you none 3. That's right-look out now!
2. Look out there, girl, before you be spilling some of that stuff on that child!
5. Well, little boys' hides ain't as tough as South Side roaches.
4. I can't imagine that it would hurt him-it has never hirt the roaches.
2. You better get over there behind the Bureau. I seen one marching out of there like Napoleon yesterday.
8. Good. Good. I'll be right over. 10. I don't know.
1. Hello- Let me talk to Willy Harris.
9. Where did Ruth go, Walter?
3. Hello, Willy? It ain't come yet. It'll be here in a few minutes. Did the lawyer give you the papers
4. There's really only one way to get rid of them, Mama-
7. Set fire to this building.
5. Hay-lo... Well- when did you get back!... And how was it?... Of course I've missed you-in my way... This morning? No... house cleaning and all that and Mama hates it if I let people come over when the house is like this...
6. Who is that you inviting over here with this house looking like this? You ain't got the pride you was born with!
2. To the doctor, I think.
4. Now I ain't saying what I think. But I ain't never been wrong 'bout a woman neither
5. You have? Well, that's different... What is it-Oh, what the heck, come one over.... Right, see you then.
1. Mama, where did Ruth go? 3. The doctor? What's the matter? You don't think-
6. Oh, that's te little country that ws founded by slaves way back...
2. Who? 4. What's his name?
3. Asagai- Joseph Asagai. He's a African boy I met on campus. He's been studying in Canada all summer.
5. Asagai, Josep. As-sah-guy... He's from Nigeria.
1. Asagai doesn't care how houses lok, Mamma- he's an intelletual!