The setting is a town just outside of Boston and the main characters are Rachel(to the right), Frannie(in the middle), and Hazel(to the left).
Hi. My name is Hazel.
Hi. My name is Frannie.
Hi. My name is Rachel.
Rachel and her mom at the doctor's office for Rachels' spine.
2. Okay. 6. I know you don't sweetheart.
3. What's going on? 5. A what? No. Mom, I don't want a back brace.
4. The curve in your spine has progressed. I'm recommending a back brace.
1. 30 degrees. I was hoping we wouldn't have to get here, Amy. I'm sorry. With your family history and a 30-degree curvature of her spine. We have to brace her.
Rachel and her friend, Frannie, are practicing soccer in Rachel's backyard.
1. Ugh! I feel like I have no control over my body. Should I give up? 3. Would you give up if you were wearing a brace? 5. That's fair.
2. If you want to. 4. I want to say no, but I have no idea. I really don't.
Rachel is at the school formal with her friends, Frannie and Hazel.
After we have been dancing for a while, the boys move a few inches closer to the girls. Kyle comes over to dance with Hazel. Ladan and the forwards pull Frannie away. I don't see Tate anywhere, and I don't feel like dancing alone or being Hazel and Kylie's third wheel, so I head toward the bathroom.
Rachel is at soccer tryouts for the indoor soccer team.
1. Ladan dribbles forward, and I can tell she is going for the goal because she is setting up a shoot with her right foot, which is the only one she ever uses. I put my right leg up and blocked the shot with my shin. I get control of the ball. Ladan sprints over to me and tries to get the ball back, but I dribble away from her, bend forward and box her out with my brace. Then I ping the ball to Frannie and she clears it.
2. Where did that come from?
Rachel, Frannie, and Hazel are looking at the list of names for the A team.
I did it! I made the A team! It feels look cold, hard proof that I am a good soccer player. Even now. Even in my brace. Frannie and Hazel both hug me, holding on tight. We're squealing and jumping up and down. And it feels good.