1. Discuss the role of social capital and social networks in health.
2. Discuss how health is affected by how social capital and social networks affect stress.
3. Discuss something you learned about public health that surprised you from the readings.
Social capital is how well individuals and groups of people in a community are connected.
People living in a society with social capital have some of the same views and values, have relationships within the society, work together, and trust one another. Because these societies have these factors they are able to effectively live as a society.
They are able to build relationships that turn into social networks. With these social networks individuals are able to attain resources or benefits they didn’t have before.
There is several reason why social capital is linked to health. Societies that have a higher social capital have support systems for the people who live their which allow them to get the health care they need.
These societies are more likely to promote a healthy lifestyle as well. Since everyone thinks similar and have trust they are less likely to do things that might affect their health, for example drugs.
It’s interesting how a strong community that works well together is more likely to live longer as well.
Explore Our Articles and Examples
Try Our Other Websites!
Photos for Class
– Search for School-Safe, Creative Commons Photos (It Even Cites for You!
– Easily Make and Share Great-Looking Rubrics
– Create Custom Nursery Art