Go into town and get up a Ladies's memorial to the Council!
Learmonth Dalrymple ran the household and she started a Sunday School.
In August 1863 Otago Boys High School opened and the leader in Otago Daily Times urged for education for girls. This set her on a seven years campaign, waging for girl's secondary education in Otago.
Firstly, she appealed to her neighbour and friend, Major J. L. C. Richardson, speaker of the provincial council, initiating collaboration in the cause of female education. He gave her advice and he moved a resolution there urging the compliance of a plan for girl's education to the next session.
Dalrymple organised a public meeting in Dunedin in November 1865. About 30 women attended, but the meeting was disrupted because a German band practising outside made speech impossible.
Learmonth Dalrymple promptly formed a ladies' committee, and as its secretary, she wrote to the commission specifying what kind of school was desirable.
In 1870 the Provincial Council and Education Board made arrangements for the opening of the new school, and the Otago Provincial School for Girls opened on 6 February 1871 - the first public girls' high school in the Southern hemisphere. The school was later renamed Otago Girl's High School.