Many people were assigned jobs in a sweat shop and had to work for a very long time without any breaks. A sweat shop is a factory that makes clothing.
The Fire Starts
When people got a job at a sweat shop they were packed very close together in the rooms of the factory. Not only was this uncomfortable, it also was dangerous.
One day at the factory, a fire started in one of the rooms. Many people believe it was a cigarette that was thrown in one of trash cans, or it could have also been all of the dust in the air because of all of the fabric.
Many people outside of the building saw the fire and since they couldn't really do anything, they just waited for the fire department to come.
Since the doors were locked in the work rooms and the fire escapes couldn't hold any weight and flimsy, some people were forced to jump off of the building.
The fire department were not really much help. Their ladders were to short to help the women down from the building, the fire hoses were also too short to reach the fires and when the workers jumped on their nets they fell right through them.