Hey, nice apartment you live in. Say, how'd you decide to put your apartment where it is?
1) I decided to put my apartment on the 8th floor because it is generally closer to most of the facilities around here.
2) It was a good idea to get an apartment on the 8th floor, as almost everything is nearby.For instance, the bowling alley is only -5 floors in relation to my floor, making it 5 floors below my floor, and the supermarket is only +7 floors in relation to my floor, which makes it 7 floors above my floor. Also, the restaurant is only +11 floors is in relation to my floor, so it would be 11 floors above my floor, and finally, the Mining Museum is -16 floors in relation to my floor, so it would be 16 floors below my floor.
4) I thought you were in your apartment and I went to go visit you. But when you weren't there, I started to go look for you. I first decided to walk up 15 floors, then decided to walk down 9 floors because I saw you weren't there. At that point, I would have walked 24 floors at that point, because the situation can be be translated into |15| + |-9|, and is the equivalent to 15 + 9, which equals 24, and then I found you.
3) To get to the lobby on the ground floor, I must walk down 8 floors, and if my floor is recognized as 0, then it would mean 0 + (-8) = -8, which means the lobby is 8 floors beneath my apartment's floor.
5) I'm sorry; I was taking a walk, so here is a little advice; If my apartment was 0, then to get to the roof you must walk 0 + 12 = 12, or walk 12 floors up from my floor.
6) Today, I was thinking we can go to the restaurant for lunch, and then later we can go to the bowling alley. If your floor was 0, and we were currently there, we would have to walk 11 floors above your floor to the restaurant, and then 16 floors below the restaurant to get to the bowling alley, and in number form this is would be the equivalent to 11 + (-16) = -5, which means we'll later be 5 floors under your floor at the bowling alley.
8) Nicholas, I wonder how many floors in total are in the apartment building. Well, if there is 20 floors above ground level, and 8 floors under ground level, then the difference of the above and under ground floors should tell me how many floors are there altogether. 20 - (-8) = 28, meaning there are 28 floors in total in the apartment building.
7) Thank, you, I'll be there, but first I'm going to go 7 floors up to the supermarket to get snacks for my visit, then I'll go 13 floors down by your apartment. All in all, I'll go 7 + -13 = -6, meaning when I get to your apartment, I'll be 6 floors under my floor.
You know, I have an apartment 6 floors below from you, and you can come visit.
9) Did you know, I can walk down 2 floors per minute. And yesterday, I walked down from the 20th floor for 5 minutes. -2 * 5 = -10, meaning in 5 minutes I was 10 floors below the 20th floor, at the 10th floor. The 10th floor is 2 floors above my apartment, so if my floor was 0, my final location will be at 2.
10) Sebastian, on Monday, I walked down 100 feet in 15 minutes, and on Tuesday, I walked down 84 feet in 12 minutes. -100/15 = -6.66666666667, meaning I walked down -6.66666666667 feet per minute on Monday, and -84/12 = -7. meaning I went down 7 feet per minute. Going down 7 feet per minute is quicker than going down 6.66666666667 feet per minute, meaning I walked faster on Tuesday than on Monday.