Larry and Herb were pumping like mad men. Somehow I managed to stretch canvas and water proof hatch covers across the gaping holes.
Meanwhile Sue had hurt her head above her eyes. She has a big bump there.
Why didn't you tell us about this wound?
I didn't want to worry you when you were trying to save us all.
The night dragged on with an endless bitterly cold routine of pumping stirring and working the radio. We were getting no replies to our calls. Sue's head had swollen alarmingly and now she showed us a deep cut on our arm.
After continuous pumping of 36 hours, our situation got better but the respite was short lived. The weather continued to deteriorate throughout the night of January 4th and by dawn on January 5th. When i went to comfort the children.
Daddy are we going to die?
But Daddy, we aren't afraid of dying if we can all be together.
I knew that Wavewalker wouldn't hold us long enough for us to reach Australia, so we decided to try to reach one of the two small islands a few hundred kilometers to the east.
We had lost our main compass so I checked and re-checked my calculations. About around 2 pm I went on deck and asked Larry to steer a course of 185 degrees.
If we are lucky, you could expect to see an island at about 5 pm
Then with a heavy heart, I went below, climbed on my bed, and amazngly, dozed off.
I wish we are.
Around 6 pm Jonathan and Sue came to me shouting with excitement that they had found the island
We anchored offshore for the night and the next morning all 28 inhabitants of the island cheered as they helped us ashore
We found the island!!!
With land under my feet again, my thoughts were full of....