One day a cat and a fox were having a conversation. The fox, who was a conceited creature, boasted how clever she was.
1. Why, I know at least a hundred tricks to get away from our mutual enemies, the dogs
2. I know only one trick to get away from dogs
4. Well, maybe some day, when I have the time, I may teach you a few of the simpler ones
3. You should teach me some of yours!
Just then they heard the barking of a pack of dogs in the distance. The barking grew louder and louder - the dogs were coming in their direction! At once the cat ran to the nearest tree and climbed into its branches, well out of reach of any dog.
5. This is the trick I told you about, the only one I know. Which one of your hundred tricks are you going to use?
The fox sat silently under the tree, wondering which trick she should use.
Before she could make up her mind, the dogs arrived. They fell upon the fox and tore her to pieces.