Tamaki Makaurau is the Maori name for Auckland. It is translated to 'Tamaki of a thousand lovers'.
This is a reference to the fertile volcanic soil and the positioning between two resource-rich coasts.
In the early 18th century, the Ngati Paoa people made their way into the Hauraki Gulf and also travelling as far north as Mahurangi.
In the time between 1740 and 1750, Ngati Whātua-o-Kaipara moved down south, and they invaded the isthmus and killing Kiwi Tamaki, paramount chief of Wai-O-Hua
The conquerors got their dominance of the isthmus by intermarrying with Ngā Oho, who are the descendants of the Wai-o-Hua.
There was a period of cautious peace in Ngāti Pāoa’s conflict with the Ngāpuhi tribes in the north that now made the Tāmaki tribes vulnerable.
1600 to 1750, the Tāmaki tribes built their houses around the volcanic cones, building pā (settlements behind protective palisades). Across the isthmus, they decided to make2,000 hectares of kūmara gardens.
Luck sparked in 1750, the population increased tens of thousands. It was pre-European New Zealand’s most wealthy and popular place.
In 1821, the Ngāpuhi leader Hongi Hika made attacks on the area because he wanted to get revenge from previous defeats. They had 2,000 men and 1,000 muskets and he destroyed two Ngāti Paoa pā (fortified settlements), Mauinaina and Mokoia. Hongi Hika repeated the elimination at Te Tōtara, the Ngāti Maru fortress which was near Thames. In 1825 Ngāpuhi struck once again.
After that, the target became Ngati Whatua. There was a war called Te Ika-a-ranganui and it was fought near Kaiwaka. The chief of the Ngāti Whātua iwi, Apihai Te Kawau, abandoned the isthmus and took his people into eviction.
Pigeon Mountain, Ohuiarangi, used to be a craft centre.
The biggest fortified village was located in the Mangemangeroa Valley which separates Howick from Whitford.
Te Naupata, Musick Point, was a Pa to watch and protect the entrance to the Tamaki River.