REMEMBER TO INCLUDE PAGE NUMBERS and describe each scene
Set in Victorian London, main character Dodger is a tosher (searches the sewers for coins and jewelry to sell.) Until he saves a lady from her abusive husband, defeats Sweeney Todd, and is thrust into high society. He learns, becomes more empathetic, strengthens his faith, and falls in love. From that is sounds mushy but it is a snarky, dark, and complex book.
1. Dodger hears screaming and a terrible squeaking wheel in the street. He investigates to find two men beating up a lady a nd trying to get her into a coach. He usually stays out of other people's buisness, but this time he intervenes and chases the men off with his his crowbar, usually used for opening sewer grates. 2. He works very hard to find the young lady and discovers (with the help opf Charles Dickens) that she has been taken in by the Mayhews, and that she had been with child when she was beaten, and the unborn baby didn't make it. Here he learns how to speak to the upper class to get what he wants and help out in his Dodger way. 3. The day after the terrible storm, he goes down into the sewers on his usual toshing buisness, and finds Granddad, the oldest of the toshers (only about 20), laying nearly dead in a heap of rubbish washed up by the torrents of rain. He had been stabbed by a broken piece of wood. Grnddad claims to have seen that lady guiding him into the next life. The lady is the patron goddess of the toshers. Not any formal religion, but everyone prays to her for good luck wether they believe or not. Granddad's death shakes dodger, but his encounter with The Lady makes him start to believe.
4. After speaking with the mayhews and becoming Dickens's spy for trying to fing Simplicity's abusers and husband, he needs to fit in to high society, so be buys a second (or fourth or fifth( hand suit and tries to get a haircut. But as he is getting his har cut at Sweeny Todd's barber shop, Todd has a flashback to the war and startss seeing the ghosts of the men who dies in battle. He waves the razor around in a stupor, believing he has to kill the ghosts, which explains why so many people died at his hand. Dodger, scared out of his mind but maintaining his cool, took the razor from him. He became the hero of fleet street and the news says he wresseled a murderer to the ground. INstead of using this fame or agreeing with it, dodger tries to tell the truth,that Todd was just a man driven mad bny the war, and he himself wasn't a hero. 5. Now that he is the hero of fleet street and Charles dickens's /the governemts helper on the inside, as he darts back and forth between the slums and the mansions, he is aquainted with the richest woman in london and Sir Robert Peele, head of the police. They tell him to watch himself and to help them out at the same time. They governemt wants to send Simplicity back to her husband in another country to avoid another war, but anyon=e who knos her wants her to stay in london so she is safe from her terrible husband,. remember divorces are illegal and she is his property. 6. 7.
Explore Our Articles and Examples
Try Our Other Websites!
Photos for Class
– Search for School-Safe, Creative Commons Photos (It Even Cites for You!
– Easily Make and Share Great-Looking Rubrics
– Create Custom Nursery Art