Chosen Articles: Avatars and Activists: Digital Gaming for Social Justice Educators Building Robust Infrastructure as a Tool for EquityUsing Technology to Close Equity Gaps
Games for Change is an organization that promotes building interest in social-impact games. Kurt Squire director at Games+Learning+ Society works to develop games that are inclusive and focus on social issues. "Ultimately, the potential impact of digital pay is highly contingent on the quality of games and how they're implemented" - Kurt Squire
Using digital gaming as a tool for social justice. Video games are part of this generation, however, there are two main issues affecting how we utilize them: 1. The gaming industry knows very little about the field of education2. Educators are taking video games for granted
Avatars and Activists: Digital Gaming for Social Justice Educators
Gone Home is more than just the typical video game, it features social issues regarding the LGTBQ and homeless youth. The field of education can benefit from using video games targeted towards the current issues that youth face.
Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide is a game and a PBS series that involves an empowerment journey. Reflecting on real life experiences that affect women across the world.
Using Technology to Close Equity Gaps
1. Equitable access to high quality learning materials. Textbooks are expensive and contribute towards inequity. Open resources can solve the problem.
4. Support for planning higher educationNew programs aimed at helping first generation students navigate the system
2. Equitable access to expertiseLocation and personal can affect student experiencesTechnology allows for access to the proper education, anywhere, anytime.
5. Supporting AccesibiityStudent input in key in promoting student interest, wants and needs to facilitate their education
#FutureReady"We have a tool that an help use change the world faster than anything we've ever seen before"
3. Personalized Learning-Adjusting Pace-Adjusting the path - Ties to student interest Department of Education is investing in programs that implement personalized learning.
‘Your zip code should not dictate your educational opportunity.’
Building Robust Infrastructure as a Tool for Equity
#FutureReady means equipping our students with the technological skills and tools they will need to be successful.
Equitable access to technology, resources, connectivity.
ReferencesAvatars and Activists. (n.d.). Retrieved October 26, 2019, from https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/spring-2015/avatars-and-activists.Building Robust Infrastructure as a Tool for Equity. (2016, April 18). Retrieved from https://medium.com/@OfficeofEdTech /building-robust-infrastructure-as-a-tool-for-equity- \ 7170a3cd8fda.Culatta, R. (n.d.). Using Technology to Close Equity Gaps. Retrieved October 26, 2019, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m-eMFz0iZI.