- The narrator insists that he isn't insane, but we can tell from the beginning he's not sane, at all. He tells us he loved the old man.
- The old man remains seemingly unaware of the narrators evil thoughts and plans to murder him.
- the narrator decides to make the decision to murder the old man. All 7 nights that the narrator is obsessing over the old mans eye and plotting to kill him.
- ( narrator kills old man) The narrator is being tormented by the sound of the old man's heart and jumps into his room to smother him to death.
- The narrator lying about what happened to the police and then hearing the heartbeat under thefloor board.
- the narrator thinks everyone can hear the heart beating under the floor boards and its starting to feel guilty. And starts to break down and tell police the he murdered the old man and wheres the body parts.