Henry O Flipper was born on March 26, 1865 in Georgia and became a slave at young age
in 1873, as a freshman at Atlanta University, he was appointed to the United States Military Academy. Although Flipper was the fifth black accepted to West Point.
As an officer in the Tenth Cavalry, Flipper served at forts Elliott, Concho, Quitman, and Davis, Texas, and at Fort Sill, Indian Territory. He first reached Texas on his way to Fort Sill, where he supervised the drainage of malarial ponds.
Flipper also installed a telegraph line from Fort Elliott to Fort Supply Indian Territory, and assisted in the return of Quanah Parker's band from Palo Duro Canyon to the Fort Sill reservation in the winter of 1878–79.
For his service in the field Flipper was made acting assistant quartermaster, post quartermaster, and acting commissary of subsistence at Fort Davis, Jeff Davis County. The positions placed him in charge of the fort's supplies and physical plant.
Flipper, a bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Henry Flipper died of a heart attack on May 3, 1940. In December 1976, when a bust of him was unveiled at West Point, the Department of the Army granted Flipper an honorable discharge.