Article: "Toward an Emergent Theory of Broadening Participation in Computer Science Education"
1. How would one go about increasing computational thinking skills using the guided discovery approach in a low-income school that does not have access to technology?
1. Activities that involve game design and programming in order to support computational thinking in younger children are becoming more popular. Because of this, the Scalable Game Design project has been implemented.
1. Computational thinking is better achieved when teachers use the guided discovery scaffolding approach, which includes setting general goals and have conversations about why and how something is done.Having these discussions and providing just enough, but not too much, assistance to the task at hand improves students computational thinking skills significantly.
1. Girls and underrepresented populations who were previously statistically less motivated in computer science courses were actually more motivated when guided discovery was used as a teaching approach. This shows that involving computational thinking strategies and teaching students how to engage in this type of thinking is helpful in increasing interest of otherwise disinterested demographics.
1. Does this approach also work well for students with disabilities to get them to engage in computational thinking, or is there an approach that will work better for this population of students?
1. I can apply these ideas in my future classroom by implementing the guided discovery approach not only when I teach about technology, but in every subject. Allowing students to engage in meaningful activities and modeling computational thinking will support their growth as computational thinkers. This involves showing them how to think through a problem or create a program, and then allowing them to discover on their own, gradually releasing my own influence over their process. I can allow them their freedom when they are creating a program, or any school project for that matter, to allow them to grow in their own creativity and increase their motivation.