1.15 comic strip
Updated: 3/15/2021
1.15 comic strip

Storyboard Description


Storyboard Text

  • Oh no! What is this random ingredient called "Formaldehyde" thats in this product? Is it good? Is it bad? Lets find out.
  • Formaldehyde (CH₂O)
  • Like many other toxins, it does not cause instant damage, but if used every day, week, month, or even decade, it will have very harmful effects (long term).
  • Formaldehyde is a colorless, strong-smelling gas used in making building materials and many household products.
  • If directly exposed to formaldehyde, it can cause watery eyes; burning sensations in the eyes, nose, and throat; coughing; wheezing; nausea; and even skin irritation. Keep in mind, these are only the short-term effects
  • Long term exposure to formaldehyde has been shown to be associated with an increased risk of cancer of the nose and accessory sinuses, nasopharyngeal and oropharyngeal cancer, and lung cancer in humans. It has also been associated with myeloid leukemia.
  • Formaldehyde and formaldehyde-releasing preservatives (FRPs) can be found in nail polishes, nail hardeners, eyelash glues, hair gels, soaps, makeup, shampoos, lotions, and deodorants, among other products. They are also used in things like keratin treatments (even though formaldehyde-free treatments are now more commonly offered.
  • The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classifies formaldehyde as a human carcinogen. A carcinogen is a chemical, type of radiation, or virus that can cause or promote cancer. Formaldehyde is also listed as a teratogen. Teratogens are chemicals that harm a fetus or embryo or cause birth defects.
  • To avoid formaldehyde you can: establish a no smoking policy in your home. You can seek formaldehyde-free treatments and products. Or perhaps you can avoid other names for formaldehyde like formalin, formic aldehyde, methanediol, methanal, methyl aldehyde, and many more.
  • People become exposed to formaldehyde in many ways. Some uses are harmless, but that mainly depends on skin type. Most exposure comes through inhaling it, or through the use of previously mentioned household products