1. The Great Wall of China is one of China's most recognizable symbols.
3. Well it started in 220 B.C. for the Qin Dynasty.
2. It took nearly 200 years to build. Construction was started 220 BC.
1. When the wall was built, many people died. Around 400,000 people died during construction.
1. When Emperor Qin Shi Huang died, plus the fall of the Qin Dynasty, the Great Wall started getting more neglected. It was falling in disrepair. When the Han Dynasty fell, many of the frontier tribes stopped control in northern China.
2. The most powerful in those tribes was the Northern Wei Dynasty. They repaired and extended to what was left of the wall to defend themselves when they were attacked by the other tribes. The Great Wall has been worked on for over the years.
2. When they did die, they were buried inside the wall.
1. In the mid 17th century, the Manchus broke through the Great Wall. They closed in on Beijing. Soon, they made the Ming Dynasty fall, beginning the Manchus Dynasty.
2. It has a base from 15 to 50 feet, the Great Wall rose some 15 tom 30 feet, also topped by ramparts that added an additional 12 feet or a little bit higher.
1. The wall was made with just mainly earth and stone. The Great Wall stretches from the China Sea Port of Shanhaiguan to the Gansu Province, having a total of about 3,000 miles long.
1. I have an idea! Let's build a wall around China so we can protect ourselves from barbarians.
The founder of the wall was Emperor Qin Shi Huang. He was also the founder of the Quin Dynasty. That was in the third century. He wanted to prevent barbarians from raiding them and attacking them.
2. Today, the Great Wall is strongly recognized as one of the most impressive architectural feats in history. The United Nations named the Great Wall a World Heritage site.