Meanwhile in a forest in San Diego County during Memorial weekend
Hello, I am Ember the mountain lion and I noticed you have left your campfire unattended. Did you know that campfires are responsible for 44% of all human-caused wildfires? This weekend in 2017 there were 41 unattended campfires in just one forest. One of those forests happened to be my home, which is now just ash and burned trees. Let's go back to your campfire and save the homes of other animals.
2) That's right, humans cause an average of 61,375 wildfires each year resulting in 4.6 million acres burned annually.
1) That's better. This is my friend Tinder the jaguar. We both live in San Diego County and our homes are affected by wildfires caused by humans.
3) Oh no! That's horrible!
4) We don't want to make you homeless!
2) With the Fourth of July being the biggest day for human caused wildfires
1) One study claims that 84% of wildfires are caused by humans
3) We are not far from a road, so doesn't that help control fires?
1) Good question. Unfortunately 91% of human caused wildfires occur within half a mile from a road and 77% within a quarter mile of a road.
2) Yeah, wildfires from campfires have a 80% chance of occurring within a quarter mile of a road. So no, the road does not control the fire.
3) With no control we have no choice but to flee and try to find safety.
4) But many of our animal friends do not make it.
Please do your part to prevent wildfires and keep us all safe
2) Thank you. And remember, you have the power to create wildfires so you also have the power to prevent wildfires.
1) We will do our part to make sure our campfire is completely out and to help prevent wildfires to keep both humans and animals safe.