The Andersonville Prison was named after R.Anderson. The Andersonville Prison was located in Georgia. Their Commander was Captain Henry Wirz.
The Andersonville Prison was officially known as "Camp Sumter." Andersonville held he largest population in the entire confederacy. Prisoners were held there from Febuary 27, 1864 - April 1865
It was built in early 1864 after Confederate officials decided to move the large number of Federal prisoners in and around Richmond to a place of greater security and more abundant food.
Andersonville held the largest prison population in the entire Confederacy. There were 45,000 prisoners and 13,000 casualties during that time. Capt. Wirz was later hanged in Washington, DC on November 10, 1865 on charge of War Crimes. Of these prisoners, almost 13,000 died from disease, poor sanitation, malnutrition, overcrowding, or exposure to the elements.