1. Class, can someone tell me what it means to be literate?
2. it means you can read and write.
4. It means you are well read.
3. it means you can read and speak.
1. What about people who cannot hold a pencil or are blind and cannot see paper? What about people who can't hear or speak? Are they illiterate?
2. Oh, I never thought about that. I guess they can read in other ways?
3. Hmm. are they even literate then?
4. They can communicate in other ways. I do not think they are any less smart than people who can physically read or write.
1. So people can be literate in their own ways. People communicate differently and that is ok. Different societies have different definitions of literacy and those societies decide who is literate and who isn't based on what its people value as important. For instance, a blind person can be literate even if he can't write or read. He will have his own way of communicating and is therefore, literate.