1. "Beowulf gripped Grendel's hand with a vise-like grasp, while Grendel tried to break free. Gradually, a gaping wound opened in Grendel's shoulder. The sinews snapped apart, and the bones split at the joint. Beowulf had ripped Grendel's arm from the rest of his body."
2. "She quickly grabbed Aeschere, the king's most trusted counselor and comrade, slew him with her bloody teeth, and carried him to her den under the frightful flood waters. The Spear-Danes soon discovered that she had also taken Grendel's gruesome arm."
3. "Put aside your sorrow my wise king. It is better to avenge the death pf your friend than to mourn overlong for him. All men must die, sooner or later. The warrior who can should win glory and flame before death takes his spirit. Then, when his life comes to an end, his good name will live on after him."
4. "The Danish hero forgot the taunting words the wine had led him to speak. Unferth knew that he did not possess the courage and skill to risk his life beneath the bloody waves in order to do a warrior's duty."
5. "He struck so angrily and with such savage strength at the monster's throat that the war-edged blade slashed into her neck, broke her bones, and sliced through her body. The fearsome fiend dropped to her death at his feet."
6. "Carrying a trophy in each hand, he swam to land. His men ran to join him, joyful at his safe return. The pool of water beneath the clouds, previously stained with battle-blood, now grew clean and still."