Assessing Other Communist States - Graphic Organizer
Lesson Plan Reference
Grade Level 9-12
Difficulty Level 3 (Developing to Mastery)
Type of Assignment Individual or Group
Communism was not limited to China and Russia. Dozens of other nations have experimented with communism. In fact, five nations still identify themselves as Marxist/Leninist today. Despite the similarity in ideology, each of these nations had very different experiences with this political structure.
Five communist regimes are included on the spider map example below. Students will analyze how and why different nations adopted communism. Students will also assess how well nations did under a communist regime.
See the example with Mozambique in the storyboard below!
For each nation, students must:
- Research the nation's history during communism.
- Provide a storyboard graphic that depicts some part of the nation’s experience with communism.
- Provide a caption at the bottom of the cell that provides an assessment/overview of the nation’s experience with communism.
People's Republic of Mozambique: 1975 - 1990
Despite a great start that included literacy programs and improved health care, economic issues, political chaos, and the collapse of the USSR doomed this government.
- Add other communist regimes for assessment.
- Focus on a specific geographic region like the Caribbean
- Focus on a single nation, and using a six cell spider chart. This spider chart would analyze the impact of communism on politics, economics, religion, society, intellectual development, and the arts.