Vocabulary Lesson Plan in Volcanoes by Seymour Simon
Lesson Plan Reference
Grade Level 4-5
Difficulty Level 2 (Reinforcing / Developing)
Type of Assignment Individual
Type of Activity: Visual Vocabulary BoardsCommon Core Standards
- [ELA-Literacy/RI/5/4] Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 5 topic or subject area.
In this volcano activity, students demonstrate their understanding of several vocabulary words related to volcanoes using a spider map. After choosing words, students should provide the part of speech and definition, then demonstrate their understanding of the words through an illustration in the related storyboard cell.
Example Vocabulary Words from Volcanoes
- volcanic ash
(These instructions are completely customizable. After clicking "Copy Assignment", change the description of the assignment in your Dashboard.)
Demonstrate your understanding of the vocabulary words in Volcanoes by creating visualizations.
- Choose three vocabulary words from the text and type them in the title boxes.
- Find the definition in a print or online dictionary.
- Write a sentence that uses the vocabulary word.
- Illustrate the meaning of the word in the cell using a combination of scenes, characters, and items.
- Alternatively, use Photos for Class to show the meaning of the words with the search bar.
(Modify this basic rubric by clicking the link below. You can also create your own on Quick Rubric.)