Keeping Track of New Vocabulary
Lesson Plan Reference
Grade Level 4-5
Difficulty Level 2 (Reinforcing / Developing)
Type of Assignment Individual
Type of Activity: Visual Vocabulary BoardsCommon Core Standards
- [ELA-Literacy/RL/5/4] Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative language such as metaphors and similes.
In this activity, students will demonstrate their understanding of vocabulary words using a Frayer Model. After choosing a word, students provide a definition, characteristics, examples (synonyms), and non-examples (antonyms) of the word. Students may be provided the vocabulary word, or they can use words that they have discovered through their reading of the text.
This example uses the word plashless:
- Definition: In a flowing manner; without splashing; without disturbing the surface of the water.
- Characteristics: “Or Butterflies, off Banks of Noon, Leap, plashless as they swim.”
- Examples: Smoothly; fluidly; deftly; elegantly; gracefully
- Non-examples: poorly; awkwardly; unattractively, rigidly
(These instructions are completely customizable. After clicking "Copy Assignment", change the description of the assignment in your Dashboard.)
Create a Frayer Model for one of the vocabulary words from the "A Bird Came Down the Walk".
- Choose a vocabulary word and type it into the center title box.
- Find the definition in a print or online dictionary and enter it into the description box under Definition.
- Illustrate the meaning of the word in the Definition cell using a combination of scenes, characters, and items.
- Alternatively, use Photos for Class to show the meaning of the words with the search bar.
(Modify this basic rubric by clicking the link below. You can also create your own on Quick Rubric.)