Bud, Not Buddy Character Map
Lesson Plan Reference
Grade Level 4-5
Difficulty Level 3 (Developing to Mastery)
Type of Assignment Individual
Type of Activity: Character MapCommon Core Standards
- [ELA-Literacy/RL/4/3] Describe in depth a character, setting, or event in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., a character's thoughts, words, or actions).
- [ELA-Literacy/RL/5/3] Compare and contrast two or more characters, settings, or events in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., how characters interact).
In this activity, students can create a character map of the characters in the story, paying close attention to the physical attributes, and the traits of both major and minor characters. Students can also provide detailed information regarding the challenges the character faces, the challenges the character imposes, and the importance of the character to the plot of the story.
Characters in the character map are:
- Todd Amos
- Deza Malone
- Lefty Lewis
- Ms. Thomas
- Herman E. Calloway
- Steady Eddie
- Mr. Jimmy
(These instructions are completely customizable. After clicking "Copy Assignment", change the description of the assignment in your Dashboard.)
Create a character map for the major characters.
- Identify the major characters in Bud, Not Buddy and type their names into the different title boxes.
- Choose a Storyboard That character to represent each of the book characters.
- Select colors and a pose appropriate to story and character traits.
(Modify this basic rubric by clicking the link below. You can also create your own on Quick Rubric.)