Key Vocabulary in "I Have a Dream"
Lesson Plan Reference
Grade Level 9-12
Difficulty Level 3 (Developing to Mastery)
Type of Assignment Individual or Partner
Type of Activity: Visual Vocabulary BoardsCommon Core Standards
- [ELA-Literacy/RI/6/4] Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative, connotative, and technical meanings.
In this activity, students will define vocabulary words from the text, which will provide a stronger understanding of the speech. Accompanying these words are images that portray the definition of these words and display life during this time period.
Example Vocabulary Words from "I Have a Dream"
(These instructions are completely customizable. After clicking "Copy Assignment", change the description of the assignment in your Dashboard.)
Demonstrate your understanding of the vocabulary words in "I Have a Dream" by creating visualizations.
- Choose three vocabulary words from the text and type them in the title boxes.
- Find the definition in a print or online dictionary.
- Write a sentence that uses the vocabulary word.
- Illustrate the meaning of the word in the cell using a combination of scenes, characters, and items.
- Alternatively, use Photos for Class to show the meaning of the words with the search bar.
(Modify this basic rubric by clicking the link below. You can also create your own on Quick Rubric.)