Plot Diagram | Maniac Magee Summary
Lesson Plan Reference
Grade Level 4-5
Difficulty Level 3 (Developing to Mastery)
Type of Assignment Individual
Type of Activity: Plot Diagrams and Narrative ArcsCommon Core Standards
- [ELA-Literacy/RL/5/2] Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize the text.
- [ELA-Literacy/RL/5/5] Explain how a series of chapters, scenes, or stanzas fits together to provide the overall structure of a particular story, drama, or poem.
A common use for Storyboard That is to help students create a plot diagram of the events from a story. Not only is this a great way to teach the parts of the plot, but it reinforces major events and help students develop greater understanding of literary structures.Having students create a Maniac Magee summary will ensure they grasp important events from this story.
Students can create a storyboard capturing the narrative arc in a work with a six-cell storyboard containing the major parts of the plot diagram. For each cell, have students create a scene that follows the story in sequence using: Exposition, Conflict, Rising Action, Climax, Falling Action, and Resolution.
Example Maniac Magee Plot Diagram
Jeffrey becomes an orphan, and is forced to live with his Aunt Dot and Uncle Dan. He can no longer stand living with them, and runs away.
Jeffrey bounces between East End and West End, trying to find a place to call home.
Jeffrey performs many impressive feats and earns the name "Maniac".
Maniac blurs the lines between blacks and whites by bringing Mars Bar to the McNab's home.
Maniac is disappointed by the behavior in Two Mills and is upset that he can't fix the problems himself; he is alone and unsure about the future.
Maniac befriends Mars Bar and moves back to the one place he truly feels at home - with the Beale family.
(These instructions are completely customizable. After clicking "Copy Assignment", change the description of the assignment in your Dashboard.)
Create a visual plot diagram of Maniac Magee.
- Separate Maniac Magee's story into the Exposition, Conflict, Rising Action, Climax, Falling Action, and Resolution.
- Create an image that represents an important moment or set of events for each of the story components.
- Write a description of each of the steps in the plot diagram.
(Modify this basic rubric by clicking the link below. You can also create your own on Quick Rubric.)