In This Activity
Researching real people helps students to gain a more concrete understanding of the culture, lives and diverse perspectives of people who lived in ancient times. Giving students the perspective of those who lived during a time period helps them go beyond simply memorizing dates and names to acquire a more substantial, empathetic and realistic view of the period. In this activity, students will create a biography poster for an influential person in ancient Rome.
Teachers can assign students specific people or give students a choice. Teachers may wish to provide resources such as books or the online encyclopedia Britannica for students to read about their person. Completed posters can be printed out, laminated and hung around the room as a visual reminder of notable people from the time of ancient Rome. Students can also present their posters to their classmates, sharing their knowledge about their person. Thus combining research, writing, and public speaking skills into one powerful assignment.
Find more biography poster templates to add to this assignment if desired!
Examples of Ancient Romans to Research
- Julius Caesar
- Romulus and Remus
- Marcus Aurelius
Template and Class Instructions
(These instructions are completely customizable. After clicking "Copy Activity", update the instructions on the Edit Tab of the assignment.)
Objective: Research a famous or notable person from ancient Rome. Create a biography poster that highlights their major accomplishments.
- Choose a person.
- Using school resources, conduct some research and learn more the person’s life and accomplishments
- On the poster, include your person’s name and dates of birth (and death if applicable). Choose a character that resembles your person. Add words and images to describe your person’s accomplishments.
Requirements: Person’s image, name, dates of birth/death, accomplishment.
Lesson Plan Reference
- [ELA-Literacy/W/9-10/2] Write informative/explanatory texts to examine and convey complex ideas, concepts, and information clearly and accurately through the effective selection, organization, and analysis of content
- [ELA-Literacy/W/9-10/6] Use technology, including the Internet, to produce, publish, and update individual or shared writing products, taking advantage of technology’s capacity to link to other information and to display information flexibly and dynamically
- [ELA-Literacy/W/9-10/7] Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects to answer a question (including a self-generated question) or solve a problem; narrow or broaden the inquiry when appropriate; synthesize multiple sources on the subject, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation
(You can also create your own on Quick Rubric.)
The description includes at least five important facts about the famous or historic figure.
The description includes less than five important facts or it includes information that is not pertinent to the famous or historic figure.
The description is incomplete and does not contain important information about the famous or historic figure.
The art chosen to depict the scenes, characters and items that are appropriate to the famous or historic figure. They enhance the poster by symbolizing or illustrating important facts about the figure. Time and care is taken to ensure that the scenes are neat, eye-catching, and creative.
The art chosen to depict the scenes, characters and items are mostly accurate, but there may be some liberties taken that distract from the assignment. Scene constructions are neat, and meet basic expectations.
The art chosen to depict the scenes, characters and items is too limited or incomplete.
Ideas are organized. There are few or no grammatical, mechanical, or spelling errors.
Ideas are mostly organized. There are some grammatical, mechanical, or spelling errors.
Storyboard text is difficult to understand.
More Storyboard That Activities
© 2024 - Clever Prototypes, LLC - All rights reserved.
StoryboardThat is a trademark of Clever Prototypes, LLC, and Registered in U.S. Patent and Trademark Office