Métis Peoples of Canada are famous leaders, artists, athletes, activists and much more! Researching real people helps students to get a more concrete and compassionate understanding of the culture, lives and diverse perspectives of different people. Students will research a person and then create a biography poster highlighting their accomplishments.
These posters can be printed out, laminated, and hung around the room as a visual reminder of notable people from the Metis Nation. Students can also present their posters to their classmates, sharing their knowledge about their person, thus combining research, writing and public speaking skills into one powerful assignment.
Find more biography poster templates to add to this assignment if desired!
Important Métis Peoples
- Howard Adams, Métis activist, author, and leader
- Pierre Bottineau, Minnesota frontiersman, surveyor, diplomat. and translator
- Michel "Mitch" Bouyer, Métis of French Canadian and Sioux ancestry; interpreter, and guide
- James P. Brady, Métis politician and activist
- Pierre Delorme, Métis politician and activist
- Gabriel Dumont, Métis military leader during the North-West Rebellion
- Cuthbert Grant, Métis political and military leader
- John Norquay, Métis politician, Premier of Manitoba from 1878 to 1887
- Malcolm Norris, Métis politician, activist, and leader
- Louis Riel, Métis leader
- Keith Barker, playwright
- Joe Fafard artist
- Sandra Birdsell, novelist
- Robert Boyer, artist
- Maria Campbell, writer and filmmaker
- George R. D. Goulet, author
- Dylan Miner, artist
- Gregory Scofield, acclaimed poet, beadwork artist, dramatist, non-fiction writer, activist and educator
- Kamala Todd, community planner, filmmaker, curator
- Loretta Todd, filmmaker, producer, cultural theorist
- Katherena Vermette, writer
- Arlette Alcock, musician, songwriter, and social activist
- Andrea Menard, actress, playwright, and singer; Métis
- Thelma J Chalifoux, Métis ; community activist; First Aboriginal Woman appointed to the Senate of Canada
- Shelly Glover, Métis ; Member of Parliament
- Dan Vandal, Métis ; Member of Parliament
- Arron Asham, professional ice hockey player
- Tantoo Cardinal, actress; of Métis and Cree ancestry
- Roseanne Supernault, actress; Métis of Cree descent
Objective: Research a famous or notable person that is of Métis heritage. Create a Biography Poster that highlights their major accomplishments.
- Choose a person.
- Using school resources, conduct some research and learn more about your chosen person.
- On the poster, include your person’s name and dates of birth (and death if applicable). Choose a character that resembles your person. Add words and images to describe your person’s accomplishments.
- Save and submit your storyboard.
Requirements: Person’s image, name, dates of birth/death, accomplishments.
Lesson Plan Reference
Grade Level 4-6
Difficulty Level 3 (Developing to Mastery)
Type of Assignment Individual
Type of Activity: Biographies
Common Core Standards
[ELA-Literacy/RH/9-10/3] Analyze in detail a series of events described in a text; determine whether earlier events caused later ones or simply preceded them.
[ELA-LITERACY/CCRA/R/1] Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text.
[ELA-LITERACY/CCRA/R/7] Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media and formats, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words.
[ELA-LITERACY/CCRA/R/9] Analyze how two or more texts address similar themes or topics in order to build knowledge or to compare the approaches the authors take.
[ELA-LITERACY/WHST/6-8/2/B] Develop the topic with relevant, well-chosen facts, definitions, concrete details, quotations, or other information and examples.
*(This will start a 2-Week Free Trial - No Credit Card Needed)
© 2021 - Clever Prototypes, LLC - All rights reserved.