The Southwest is the home of many interesting places to visit, such as the Grand Canyon, the Carlsbad Caverns, and the Alamo. In this activity, students will create a postcard from a Southwest tourist attraction. The written part must include at least one fact about the attraction, and the picture must accurately depict the location.
Objective: Create a postcard from a tourist attraction in the Southwest.
- Click on “Start Assignment”.
- In the left cell, create an image that depicts the tourist attraction using an appropriate scene, characters, and items. Be sure to include the state name as a real postcard would.
- In the right cell, write a note to a friend or family member describing the attraction that you have "visited". You must include at least one fact about the attraction.
- On the address lines provided, make up a creative address for the recipient.
- Create a fun stamp in the box in the upper right corner.
- Save often!
Lesson Plan Reference
Grade Level 4-5
Difficulty Level 2 (Reinforcing / Developing)
Type of Assignment Individual
Common Core Standards
[ELA-Literacy/W/4/7] Conduct short research projects that build knowledge through investigation of different aspects of a topic.
[ELA-Literacy/RI/4/4] Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words or phrases in a text relevant to a grade 4 topic or subject area.
[ELA-Literacy/RI/4/7] Interpret information presented visually, orally, or quantitatively (e.g., in charts, graphs, diagrams, time lines, animations, or interactive elements on Web pages) and explain how the information contributes to an understanding of the text in which it appears.
[ELA-Literacy/RI/4/10] By the end of year, read and comprehend informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts, in the grades 4-5 text complexity band proficiently, with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.
*(This will start a 2-Week Free Trial - No Credit Card Needed)
© 2021 - Clever Prototypes, LLC - All rights reserved.