Dr Campbell bought lot 189 expecting to use it as a coal mine. You can see the hole in the cliffs between Browns Bay and Waiake that was never used.
Instead Dr Campbell split his land into farms, the first people to buy some land ,quickly sold it to Mrs Hammond.
Peter Brown who Browns Bay was named after Bought 136 acres of land mostly beach and bushes. His house was built on the corner of ANZAC and Clyde road. Unfortunately one day his house burnt down in fire
Shelter was required when the family moved to Browns Bay so trees were planted along the beach. The land was cleared and improved and cattle were soon grazing, and an orchard, vineyard and apiary were established.
With no school in Browns Bay, a part time one was started in a small building on Hyde Road. There had to be at least 10 children attending the school to keep it open. 1900 there were only half a dozen families living in Browns Bay.
The tipping point for Browns Bay transforming into a suburb of Auckland rather than the beach resort it once was, occurred in the late 1950’s with the completion of the Auckland Harbour Bridge. Browns Bay was connected with the city of Auckland and it hasn't stopped growing since.