On September 22, 1866 at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas. They got the name "Negro Cavalry" by the Native American.
On April 17, 1875 ,regimental headquarters for 9th and 10th Cavalries were transferred to Fort Concho, Texas.
9th Cavalry fabled Johnson County War.
After most of the Indian Wars ended in the 1890s, the regiments continued to serve and participated in the 1898 Spanish–American War (including the Battle of San Juan Hill) in Cuba, where five more Medals of Honor were earned.
After the Battle of the Bulge, American forces in Europe experienced a shortage of combat troops, so the embargo on using black soldiers in combat units was relaxed.
The 24th was deactivated and its soldiers were integrated into other units in Korea. On December 12, 1951, the last Buffalo Soldier units, the 27th Cavalry and the 28th Cavalry, were disbanded.