Phineas Gage, he was a normal man from the 1800's. Had a skill which was, working on railroad tracks. He had the most dangerous job in the railroad buisness, the explosives!
Phineas Gage's workers would dig a hole, and fill it with gunpowder and sand. The gumpowder would be at the bottom and the sand would be on top. A long rope would be put into the hole with the end of it in the gunpowder so it could ignite the explosion. The tamping iron would be put into some machine to start a spark then Phineas would run.
One day phineas Gage was working and all of a sudden he got distracted. He must have accidentally ignited the gunpowder, because it blew upand sent the tamping iron flying.
The tamping iron went through his head and landed 2 to 30 yards away from him. Then he was passed ou for several minutes.
He woke up moments later and started talking. Everyone was probably very confused. They got a carrige to take hime to his home so he could get checked out by a doctor.
When he arrived at his home about half an hour later he was examined by a doctor. The doctor thought he wouldn't last much longer, because his head was busted open. He threw up enough brains to fill up a teacup.This is an example of an open brain injury, and it is a good thing it was. If it wasn't his brain would have swolen up and killed him. He lived 12 years after the accident.