Vocabulary Lesson Plan for "Kenya's Long Dry Season"
Lesson Plan Reference
Grade Level 4-5
Difficulty Level 2 (Reinforcing / Developing)
Type of Assignment Individual
Type of Activity: Visual Vocabulary BoardsCommon Core Standards
- [ELA-Literacy/RI/4/4] Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words or phrases in a text relevant to a grade 4 topic or subject area.
In this activity, students demonstrate their understanding of several vocabulary words using a spider map. After choosing the word(s), students provide the part of speech, definition, an example from the text, and demonstrate their understanding of the word(s) through the storyboard.
The example storyboard includes:
(These instructions are completely customizable. After clicking "Copy Assignment", change the description of the assignment in your Dashboard.)
Demonstrate your understanding of the vocabulary words in "Kenya's Long Dry Season" by creating visualizations.
- Choose three vocabulary words from the story and type them in the title boxes.
- Find the definition in a print or online dictionary.
- Write a sentence that uses the vocabulary word.
- Illustrate the meaning of the word in the cell using a combination of scenes, characters, and items.
- Alternatively, use Photos for Class to show the meaning of the words with the search bar.
(Modify this basic rubric by clicking the link below. You can also create your own on Quick Rubric.)