Descendants of the Taíno people exist all over the Caribbean today. The imprint of the Taíno culture is felt in every facet of Caribbean life, from names of foods and cities to styles of art and music. Researching real people helps students to get a more concrete and compassionate understanding of the culture, lives and diverse perspectives of Indigenous peoples. Students will research a person and then create a Biography Poster highlighting their accomplishments.
Suggested Notable Caribbean People
- Roberto "Múkaro" Borrero is a Taíno community leader, an accomplished musician, and artist, as well as an internationally respected advocate for the rights of Indigenous Peoples.
- Anacaona (1474 –1504) also known as Golden Flower, was a Taíno cacique (chief), religious expert and poet born in Xaragua (Haiti). In 1503, Anacaona was arrested and hanged much to the horror of her people by order of the Spanish governor.
- Agüeybaná I (The Great Sun): Cacique who ruled Puerto Rico when Juan Ponce de Leon arrived.
- Agüeybaná II (The Brave): Cacique who was the brother of Agüeybaná I and who led the Taíno rebellion in 1511 in Puerto Rico (Borikén) against the Spanish colonizers.
- Guacanagaríx was one of five Taino caciques of Hispaniola (the area now called Haiti), and the first Cacique to befriend Columbus and helped save the men aboard the sinking Spanish vessel "Santa Maria" in Hispaniola. He also helped build Fort Navidad.
Objective: Research a famous or notable person that is of Indigenous heritage from the Caribbean region. Create a Biography Poster that highlights their major accomplishments.
- Choose a person.
- Using school resources, conduct some research and learn more about your chosen person.
- On the poster, include your person’s name and dates of birth (and death if applicable). Choose a character that resembles your person. Add words and images to describe your person’s accomplishments.
- Save and submit your storyboard.
Requirements: Person’s image, name, dates of birth/death, accomplishments.
Lesson Plan Reference
Grade Level 4-6
Difficulty Level 3 (Developing to Mastery)
Type of Assignment Individual
Type of Activity: Biographies
*(This will start a 2-Week Free Trial - No Credit Card Needed)
© 2021 - Clever Prototypes, LLC - All rights reserved.