Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa Chapter Summary Activity
Lesson Plan Reference
Grade Level 2-3
Difficulty Level 2 (Reinforcing / Developing)
Type of Assignment Individual, Partner, or Group
Type of Activity: Parts of a StoryCommon Core Standards
- [ELA-Literacy/W/2/3] Write narratives in which they recount a well-elaborated event or short sequence of events, include details to describe actions, thoughts, and feelings, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide a sense of closure.
- [ELA-Literacy/RL/3/2] Recount stories, including fables, folktales, and myths from diverse cultures; determine the central message, lesson, or moral and explain how it is conveyed through key details in the text.
- [ELA-Literacy/L/3/2] Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
In this activity, students decide on what they think the important parts in the text are, and categorize them into the beginning, middle, and end of the story. Having students decide on the beginning, middle, and end will help them break up the text, and make it easier to choose one or two main events to create. Students can plan their ideas with a partner or individually, and decide what main parts they would like to add to their storyboard.
Each chapter in the story is devoted to an adventure that Cowgirl Kate and her hungry horse, Cocoa, embark on. Students can choose a chapter to summarize and make a storyboard depicting the beginning, middle, and end.
The example below is for the chapter titled, "Counting Cows".
Cowgirl Kate is trying to count the cows, but Cocoa keeps distracting her. She decides to count them herself, but is too small to see the cows on the ground, and she's also too short to see on a fence.
She decides to climb up a tall tree to count, but Cocoa cries to for her to come down. He is worried she may fall, and he says he will help her count the cows if she comes down.
Kate climbs onto Cocoa and they count the cows. Cocoa even remembers what number cow Kate was on when she stopped counting.
(These instructions are completely customizable. After clicking "Copy Assignment", change the description of the assignment in your Dashboard.)
Make a storyboard summary of a chapter in Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa.
- Make a picture that shows the beginning of the chapter.
- Make a picture that shows the middle of the chapter.
- Make a picture that shows the end of the chapter.
- Write a sentence under each picture.
(Modify this basic rubric by clicking the link below. You can also create your own on Quick Rubric.)