In this activity, students will integrate what they have read in Flight to Freedom and the article, "Slavery, the Civil War & Reconstruction - The Underground Railroad". These texts discuss the Underground Railroad, the secrecy, and the system that helped slaves escape to the North.
Have students record and illustrate information from each article in a T-Chart. Side-by-side cells should relate to one another.
Flight to Freedom: The Story of the Underground Railroad
- Men and women followed codes: agents were reminded their work was illegal, nothing was ever put in writing, and all evidence was destroyed.
- The physical property was a line of farms running zigzag from the slaves states to Canada.
- If any traveler was unable to make it to the next station, the agent would hide them in caves.
"Slavery, the Civil War & Reconstruction - The Underground Railroad"
- People thought slavery was immoral and they took risks to help slaves.
- Each house told the fugitive where the next station would be.
- Slaves traveled by night; the North Star was their guide to freedom.
Create a T Chart that integrates information from both Flight to Freedom and "Slavery, the Civil War, & Reconstruction" and presents them side by side.
- Click "Start Assignment".
- In one column, identify at least three facts about slavery and the Underground Railroad from Flight to Freedom.
- In the other column, identify at least facts about slavery and the Underground Railroad from "Slavery, the Civil War, & Reconstruction" that are related to the facts in the first column.
- Create illustrations for each fact using appropriate scenes, characters, and items.
- Save and submit your storyboard.
Lesson Plan Reference
Grade Level 4-5
Difficulty Level 3 (Developing to Mastery)
Type of Assignment Individual or Partner
Common Core Standards
[ELA-Literacy/RI/5/9] Integrate information from several texts on the same topic in order to write or speak about the subject knowledgeably.
*(This will start a 2-Week Free Trial - No Credit Card Needed)
© 2021 - Clever Prototypes, LLC - All rights reserved.