1. THEY'RE EXPENSIVE - school uniforms of most schools cost a lot of money. Little children keep growing and parents have to keep repurchasing the uniforms. On top of this, most schools have a variety of uniforms for different seasons and activities. All of which are supposed to be bought and can really add up.
5 reasons why uniforms should be banned
2. THEY'RE UNCOMFORTABLE- Most schools require students to tuck their shirts in and wear ties which can be really uncomfortable as it gets warmer. In most schools, the girl’s uniform is a skirt. We’re more concerned with ensuring that it doesn’t fly up which leads us to not focusing on learning.
3. THEY FORCE US TO CONFORM - Uniforms squelch our freedom of expression and force us to conform. We’re not allowed to be creative and express our sense of style. Someone who’s used to looking like others will have no drive to express themselves. Clothing is a way to explore and discover our identity and not being allowed to do that for more than a decade can lead to people numbing their creativity and individuality in a world that craves it.
5. THEY’RE BORING. - Most uniforms come in some ugly pattern if you’re lucky and don’t have to wear a solid colour. To add to this insult, we have to wear them every single day, 6 times a week, for over 10 years!
4. THEY CAN LOWER YOUR SELF ESTEEM- The idea behind uniforms was to create a homogeneous level playing field but it doesn’t really help. Students come in different colours, sizes and heights and uniforms don’t flatter all of them. Students can feel really embarrassed every time they look in a mirror as their uniform emphasises everything they don’t like about their body. This sort of negativity over a really long time can really take a toll on their esteem.