Before 1996, most of South Africa had fresh water and a good, balanced ecosystem.
But when humans started to farm in South Africa, they started using fertilizer which got into the streams and rivers they were next to, polluting the water for the animals.
Pollution of all sources fresh water can lead to the extinction of many animals in that ecosystem.
1. If one animal in the ecosystem dies out because of polluted water it could effect the entire system because the animals that eat that thing don't have a food source and it will continue until all the animals are extinct.
How Water Pollution Effects the Ecosystem
The lion can become extinct if water pollution is not stopped and fast.
Water pollution can also be caused by urbanization when humans build houses and need to remove land and put that land in perfectly clean water, polluting it.
2. The quality of the water in South Africa is decreasing.
1. Fresh water is now scarce in South Africa.
3. Agriculture fertilizers have polluted the streams and rivers they are next to.
How Water Pollution Effects the Ecosystem in South Africa
1. Farmers in South Africa should need a permit to farm in areas prone to pollution.
2. There could be filters placed on rivers or streams to prevent fertilizers or any other pollution to get to where animals drink from.
How to Possibly Prevent Water Pollution from Happening
About 783 million people in the world don't have access to clean, drinkable water.
In 1997, about half of Africa's population suffered water related illnesses.
SOURCES www.randwater.co.za/corporateresponsibility/ wwe/pages/waterpollution.aspx Environmental Issues in Southern Africa - Wikipedia 23 Incredible Facts About Water in Africa (STATISTICS AND MORE)