• A short narrative that imparts a moral, or a lesson • Is sometimes a warning, or expresses a general truth about life • Often times, the characters are animals • Parables are typically allegorical
• A lengthy narrative with plot, setting, characters, and conflict that imitates real life or real situations • Encompasses all kinds of subject matter, including historical, adventure, mysteries, romance, etc.
• Shorter than a novel, with a more simplified plot • Develops themes and characters more fully
MYTHS AND LEGENDS
PROSE: SUB-GENRES OF FICTION
• A narrative that explains the origins of life, the occurrences in nature, or the deeds of a figure of folklore • Often rooted in both fact and fiction • Legends focus less on the supernatural
• A short prose narrative, very limited in plot, few characters, and crafted for unity • Reveals character, rather than traces its development