Genres of Literature - Sub-genres of Poetry
SONGS AND BALLADS
• Poetry that tells a story • Can be in traditional or organic forms • Structured in metered verse
• Poetry with a set rhythm, sometimes accompanied by musical instruments • Typically includes repetition, simple language, and a set rhyme scheme
• Poetry in which one speaker expresses his or her feelings on a particular subject • Includes forms such as odes, sonnets, and haikus
SUB-GENRES OF POETRY
• A narrative poem that uses invented characters • Ranges from a simple monologue to a full-length production • Can include dialogue, multiple characters, and can be spoken or sung
• A long narrative poem, typically about the deeds of gods or heroes • Elevated in style • Includes adventures and expresses values held dear by its culture
Explore Our Articles and Examples
Try Our Other Websites!
Photos for Class
– Search for School-Safe, Creative Commons Photos (It Even Cites for You!
– Easily Make and Share Great-Looking Rubrics
– Create Custom Nursery Art