In This Activity
Students will research the Rights of the Accused in the Bill of Rights and represent at least four of these rights. Below each of their representations, students should include a direct quote from the Bill of Rights. Depending on the guidance of the teacher, students can choose as many terms to represent as they desire.
Rights of the Accused
- Trial by Jury
- According to the 6th Amendment, a person has "the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed".
- According to the 5th Amendment, no person "shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself".
- According to the 6th Amendment, "In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall... have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence."
- Double Jeopardy
- According to the 5th Amendment, no person shall "be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb".
Following the creation of Rights of the Accused, students should hide or delete the titles and descriptions of their representations. Students will then present their representations to either a partner or the whole class and have other students describe what they see in each representation and guess which rights of the accused they chose to represent.
Template and Class Instructions
(These instructions are completely customizable. After clicking "Copy Activity", update the instructions on the Edit Tab of the assignment.)
Create a storyboard identifying and illustrating the Rights of the Accused
- Use the template provided by your teacher
- In the title of each cell, identify the right of the accused
- In the description boxes, describe what that right means
- Create an illustration that demonstrates or explains each right using appropriate scenes, characters, and items
Lesson Plan Reference
More Storyboard That Activities
© 2024 - Clever Prototypes, LLC - All rights reserved.
StoryboardThat is a trademark of Clever Prototypes, LLC, and Registered in U.S. Patent and Trademark Office